Speed is a major factor in today's rankings. If your site isn't fast you may well lose rankings as Google now uses Page Load Times as one of many factors when determining rankings.
Luckily WordPress is built for speed, and our WordPress Hosting is lightening fast, but you can make it even faster with one simple plugin, WP Super Cache.
How To Speed Up Your WordPress Site With WP Super Cache
- Login to your WordPress admin area
- Hover over Plugins in the menu and click Add New
- In the search bar, enter WP Super Cache and click Search Plugins
- In the list of plugins, under WP Super Cache click Install Now
- A Pop up will appear asking to confirm if you wish to install this plugin, click OK
- You will then see a screen downloading the plugin, after this has completed, click the link Activate Plugin
- You will return to your list of installed plugins, but there will be a red warning box at the top of the screen saying "WP Super Cache is disabled. Please go to the plugin admin page to enable caching." Click the plugin admin page link in this message
- You will be taken to the WP Super Cache Plugin settings page. You will see to option boxes, 1 saying Caching On and 1 saying Caching Off, Select the Caching On box and click the Update Status button
- Click the Advanced Tab at the top of the page and select the following options:
- Use mod_rewrite to serve cache files. (Recommended)
- Compress pages so they’re served more quickly to visitors. (Recommended)
- 304 Not Modified browser caching. Indicate when a page has not been modified since last requested.
- Don’t cache pages for known users. (Recommended)
- Cache rebuild. Serve a supercache file to anonymous users while a new file is being generated. (Recommended)
- Extra homepage checks. (Very occasionally stops homepage caching) (Recommended)
Once selected, click the Update Status button after the options you just selected
- You will now see a warning message at the top of the screen
- Scroll down the advanced Settings page and you will notice a big yellow box of text like below
Click the Update Mod_Rewrite Rules Button
- The box will turn green and say at the top of it Mod Rewrite Rules Updated!
- And that's it! your site is now utilizing WP Super Cache to display files! Visit your site and you will start to see the difference!
If you have any further tips or comments, please write in the comment box below!